The winter cold is hitting us hard this week, with rain storms in the Cape, snow fall on the mountains and dropping temperatures all around! So apart from needing something to warm you up from the inside, we need something packed with veggies to keep those pesky colds and flu’s away.
This hearty Chicken and Vegetable soup is thick and filling, loaded with vegetables and chicken-soup goodness. You can add more or less vegetables and different varieties as you choose to make it your own.
- Time: 1hour
- Serves: 6-8 generous portions
- Difficulty: Easy (with some effort)
What you’ll need:
- 3-4 cooked chicken pieces (Shredded)
- 1 Tbl spoon cooking oil
- 1 Medium onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 Large carrot
- 1 Long celery stick
- 100g courgette
- 100g mushroom
- 1cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen sweetcorn
- 2 cups Chicken stock/broth
- 1 L boiling water
- 250ml cream
- 1 Packet (50g) Chicken soup powder (Or basic roux/white sauce)
- Salt; pepper; chicken spice; paprika; garlic and herb spice
- Fresh Parsley and Thyme
What to do:
- Using two forks, shred the chicken into pieces.
- Prep all vegetables as needed: Dice onions, carrot and celery (1cm chunks) ; mince garlic; chop courgettes and mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add carrots, celery and garlic, and cook until fragrant. If the vegetables are starting to stick to the pot or brown at the bottom of the pot, add a cup of water to deglaze.
- Add Chicken, mushrooms and courgettes, as well as the seasoning and fresh herbs. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add your stock and boiling water (6 cups of fluid in total) and bring down to a simmer. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Ladle some of your soup fluid (about 2 cups) into a mixing bowl, add the soup powder and whisk until a smooth paste forms. Add the soup mix paste back to the pot and stir continuously until the mixture is mixed into the soup and starting to thicken.
- Add the cream; peas and corn. Bring heat down to medium-low and let cook for 15-20minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season as needed. Test the courgettes before serving to ensure they are cooked through.
- Serve with bread
- If you’re using raw chicken:
- You’ll need about two chicken breasts, diced.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil or butter in your pot. Add chicken and seasoning and cook until brown. Remove from pot. In this same pot, heat more oil, and start cooking your vegetables like in the recipe above.
- If you want to use a white sauce instead of soup mix:
- Follow this basic recipe for white roux.